Monday 19 November 2012

Sunlight

It was a cold and cloudy day. The windows looked clean, having spent half an hour with an extendable pole, that had cost both time in research and money in hard earned cash, and now dangled precariously against the upper panes of glass, more than ten feet above ground level, with a small attached and soapy pad doing its work. I was already suspicious of its ability to do what it said on the packet, or at least the sparsely worded information leaflet that gave less than transparent instructions for assembly and even more opaque guidelines on how it should be used for maximum effect. The fact that this was already the second purchase of such an implement in seven days was weighing heavily on the mind, the previous instrument having broken during its exit from some hastily wrapped clear polythene and following assembly. I should have been suspicious even then that it may not have been the first time it had seen daylight but when I returned it for another and found the new product came nicely packaged in a cardboard box with the pad in its own little covering, it became obvious that the little window cleaner had been in foster care before. 
Well, the windows looked clean and the praise of man, or in this case, wife, w enough to convince me that my purchase had been worth the research, the money and the hard work. But then the sun came out. Not immediately but without invitation. Sunlight has many wonderful advantages. It provides warmth in the summer and even makes us feel warm on a cold winter day. It changes our mood, dries our clothes, feeds our crops, turns grass to hay and ripens fruit. And many a beautiful photograph and painting depicts its coming and going. But it wasn't made to shine on windows, especially high levels frames that have been cleaned by an inexpensive fragile pole and an inexperienced window cleaner. What the rain and clouds had hidden was now exposed for all to see, including wife, as the streaks, missed corners and uneven and dried glass surfaces shouted out their dissatisfaction with my attempts at cleansing. But the sunlight didn't stop there. Soon the stains on the inside of the glass became almost more annoying than those that I had attempted to remove and it was clear, no pun intended, that a re-clean was imperative, impending and hopefully not impractical.  
And yet the sunlight didn't stop there. On it penetrated into the room, dust particles suspended in its rays until they fell on to the kitchen sideboard and exposed fugitive breadcrumbs that had remained camouflaged for days and small cooking stains that hid under the cover of darkness with no thoughts of escape. But it wasn't all bad. Shadows of horizontal blinds painted a temporary pattern on a lamp and candle and reflections of a glass bowl  brought a new, if non-permanent design to the painted. Everything seemed to look better and I felt better, apart from looking through the window.and then it was gone. Not behind a cloud. Just gone. Out of view. Passed on to another window, it's light streaming in its wake but no longer with the same exposing effect it once had.
Jesus once said in John 8 v 12, "I am the light of the world." He didn't just say this to remind us that He was a light to show us the path back to God and Heaven. I think He was really telling us that Son light shines right into us and exposes the dirt in our lives that we either can't see ourselves or try to hide from Him. He calls it sin. We call it everything but sin. Our own attempts to clean up our lives are always going to fail because we can't see everything that's wrong and sometimes don't want to see it anyway. When Jesus shines into our lives, his light reaches every corner, every hidden crevice and then we see what needs cleaned and by His grace we can be completely clean. Of course when He comes into our lives, because His light always shines in us, He shows us where that sin is hiding and because  He is the Master cleaner, we only need to ask Him to clean us every day and it's done, the dirt is gone. 
Some things to think about though. Sunlight exposes the dirt but I needed to be honest and proactive about my windows and the room. I had the free will to do nothing or to just pretend it was ok. That way nothing happens and just more dirt gathers. But I guess I have to take action sometime. Still, it's probably only the sunlight that makes me see it in the first place. Off course I could have just cleaned the outside but the sunlight showed up the inside for what it was. So I think I need to be honest about God too. And proactive. When I feel this gentle tugging and sometimes a more direct grabbing at me, it's Him laying my life out before me with all it's sin and imperfections, telling me not to ignore it. And like the sunlight, this Son light keeps coming back to remind me what I need to do. But here's the difference. When Jesus shines His light into my life, if I invite Him in He does the cleaning because He's the only One who can. 
And what do people see when they at me. Hopefully His reflection shining back at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment